If you’re lucky, you’ll never have to know anything about filing a personal injury claim. But far too many of us will learn a lot more than we ever wanted to know about getting justice after a serious accident. Big corporations and insurance companies pay their lawyers a lot of money to fight personal injury claims. They want to be able to pay you as little as possible for your losses. That’s why you should at least talk with a personal injury attorney.
Trial lawyers and personal injury attorneys work through the courts to get fair compensation for accident victims. More often than not, those responsible for paying for damages like medical bills and lost time at work resulting from negligence need to be persuaded to do the right thing through legal action.
Top 5 Things You Should Know About Filing a Personal Injury Claim
- Most personal injury claims are based on Tort Law. Basically, a tort is “an act or omission that gives rise to injury or harm to another and amounts to a civil wrong for which courts impose liability.” In other words, someone did something or failed to do something that hurt or damaged another person. Personal injury lawyers specialize in this type of law.
- Personal injury attorneys generally work on a contingency fee. That means that you will not have to pay any money to your lawyer unless you win the case. If you do win your personal injury claim, you pay your attorney a percentage of the money you receive in a settlement.
- Under the Statute of Limitations, you must file a claim within a certain period of time after an injury occurs. In Florida, the statute of limitations is generally two to four years. If you do not file a claim before the deadline, you may not be able to recover any damages.
- Most personal injury cases are settled out of court before they go to trial. Experts say as many as 90% of lawsuits settle before going to court. In fact, research suggests that plaintiffs are more successful at recovering damages through settlement rather than going to trial. Nevertheless, an experienced trial attorney increases your chance of a fair settlement because insurance companies will know that the plaintiff is prepared to follow through on the case in front of a jury.
- You can get a free consultation. Most personal injury attorneys will review your case at no change. With a free case review, your lawyer can look at your case to decide how strong your personal injury claim is.
Don’t Take Chances with Your Person Injury Claim
If an accident caused by negligence has injured you or a loved one and you’re looking for the best personal injury lawyer in Orlando, consider the personal injury law firm of Martinez Manglardi PA. We’ve been fighting for accident victims for more than 30 years. Call 866-349-3623 for a free consultation at one of our convenient Central Florida locations.