The medical malpractice attorneys at the Martinez Manglardi personal injury law firm won a settlement of more than $2 million in the case of a man who died during a routine elective procedure performed at a hospital.
The family of a man in his late 60s came to Martinez Manglardi seeking answers as to why their husband and father, who was seemingly healthy, lost his life. After investigating the claim, Martinez Manglardi determined that critical medical mistakes were made which lead to the man’s death.
The man was suffering from a benign cardiac arrhythmia and, as recommended by his treating doctor, he scheduled an electrical mapping of his heart with a nearby hospital. Martinez Manglardi discovered that during this routine outpatient procedure, air was accidentally injected into his heart. The air embolus caused a blockage of one of the main cardiac arteries, which in turn caused the man to go into cardiac arrest.
With the assistance of a nationally accredited medical expert in the field, it was determined that the negligence of the nurses in the catheterization lab, as well as the negligence of the cardiologists performing the procedure, contributed to the death of this otherwise relatively healthy man. The claim resulted in a settlement of over $2 million dollars on behalf of the family.
Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Medical malpractice is a serious issue that affects thousands of people every year. In fact, it is the third leading preventable cause of death in America, claiming the lives of more than 250,000 individuals annually. These numbers are staggering, surpassing the combined deaths caused by car accidents, breast cancer, and AIDS. Many victims of medical malpractice suffer life-altering injuries, while others lose their lives due to negligence and mistakes. Despite the severity of this problem, only a fraction of these cases are brought to court, as many victims and their families are unaware that they have been victims of medical malpractice.
Understanding Medical Malpractice Claims
Medical malpractice claims encompass a wide range of scenarios, each with its own unique challenges and complexities. While it is impossible to provide an exhaustive list of all the types of medical malpractice claims, it is important to be aware of some of the leading categories[^1^].
- Misdiagnosis or Delayed Diagnosis: When a healthcare provider fails to correctly diagnose or timely diagnose a medical condition, leading to significant harm or even death.
- Surgical Errors: Mistakes made during surgical procedures, such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving surgical instruments inside the patient, can have devastating consequences.
- Medication Errors: Errors in prescribing, dispensing, or administering medications resulting in severe harm or even fatalities.
- Birth Injuries: Negligence during childbirth can cause lifelong injuries or disabilities to both the mother and child.
- Anesthesia Errors: Errors in administering anesthesia can lead to serious complications or even death during surgical procedures.
- Failure to Obtain Informed Consent: Healthcare providers have a duty to inform patients of the risks and benefits of a medical procedure. Failure to obtain informed consent can be grounds for a medical malpractice claim.
- Failure to Monitor or Follow-Up: Neglecting to adequately monitor a patient’s condition or failing to provide appropriate follow-up care can have serious consequences.
The Role of Medical Malpractice Attorneys
The Orlando medical malpractice attorneys at the Martinez Manglardi personal injury law firm are committed to fighting for the rights of medical malpractice victims. With a team of highly trained and experienced medical malpractice attorneys, they have a proven track record of securing significant settlements and verdicts for their clients. Contact our Orlando medical malpractice attorneys at 407-846-2240 for a free consultation. Offices throughout Central Florida.