Car accidents can be devastating, resulting in physical injuries, emotional distress, and financial losses. In order to get the best car accident injury damages to recover your losses, it’s important to understand your rights and options for seeking compensation. The best source of information can be an experienced Orlando car accident attorney who knows how to deal with insurance companies and the courts.
Understanding Car Accident Injury Damages
Florida operates under a no-fault insurance system, which means that regardless of who is at fault for the accident, your own insurance company will cover your medical expenses and lost wages up to the limits of your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. However, this may not fully compensate you for all of your losses.
Types of Car Accident Injury Damages
When seeking car accident injury damages in Florida, there are different types of damages you may be entitled to:
- Compensatory Damages: These damages aim to compensate you for the losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident. They can be further categorized into economic and non-economic damages.
- Economic Damages: Economic damages cover tangible financial losses, such as medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and other out-of-pocket expenses directly related to the accident.
- Non-economic Damages: Non-economic damages are more subjective and compensate for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium.
- Punitive Damages: In rare cases involving gross negligence or intentional misconduct, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the at-fault party and deter similar behavior in the future.
Meeting the Injury Threshold in Florida
To pursue a personal injury lawsuit and seek non-economic damages, your injuries must meet the “serious injury threshold” established by Florida law. This threshold includes:
- Significant and permanent loss of an important bodily function
- Permanent injury, other than scarring or disfigurement
- Significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement
If your injuries meet any of these criteria, you may be eligible to seek compensation beyond the limits of your PIP coverage.
Consult with a Car Accident Injury Attorney
To navigate the complexities of car accident injury compensation, it’s highly recommended to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. They can assess the merits of your case, guide you through the legal process, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and, if necessary, represent you in a personal injury lawsuit.
The Importance of Legal Representation
Obtaining car accident injury compensation in Florida can be a challenging and complex process. Insurance companies have teams of lawyers working to protect their interests, so it’s crucial to have skilled legal representation on your side.
It can be challenging to negotiate with insurance companies, especially if you are unfamiliar with the procedure. Insurance adjusters are skilled specialists whose job is to pay you as little as possible for your claim, even if the procedure may be unfamiliar to you.
Never accept the first offer from an insurance provider for your car accident injury damages while bargaining with them, that is the first thing to remember. In an effort to get you to settle fast and for less than your case may be worth, insurance companies frequently attempt to undervalue your claim.
A knowledgeable personal injury attorney will:
- Help you understand your rights and legal options
- Gather and analyze evidence to support your claim
- Calculate the full extent of your damages
- Negotiate with insurance companies for a fair settlement
- Prepare and present your case in court, if necessary
- Protect your rights and fight for the car accident injury compensation you deserve
Free Consultation with an Experienced Orlando Car Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a car accident in Florida and are seeking car accident injury compensation, contact Martinez Manglardi personal injury law firm today for a free consultation. Our experienced Olrando car accident attorneys will evaluate your case, answer your questions, and provide guidance on the best course of action. Call 866-730-3508 to schedule your consultation and learn more about your rights and options. Convenient locations throughout Central Florida.