You’ll probably file for one of the 5 most likely car accident claims at least once in your life according to a leading insurer. The company says that “depending on where you live, the average driver can expect to be involved in an accident about once every six years.” Of course, that’s the average. Some lucky people will go their whole lives without being involved in a car accident. Others will see more than their share. And, unfortunately far too many people will have tragic experiences on our highways.
Every day, there are more than 1,000 car accidents in Florida. Every year, almost 3,000 people are killed in Florida car accidents, and over 165,000 people are injured. Last year, there were 30,000 car accidents in Orange County alone.
Car accidents are the biggest cause of mortality for young people in America. The leading cause is drunk driving, according to experts. The next greatest cause of car accidents is distracted driving. Drivers who are calling, texting, browsing, or even taking selfies while driving cause over 25% of all accidents. Speeding, weariness, and inclement weather all contribute to the great number of car accident claims we file every year.
Minor Car Accident Claims
The most common car accident claims handled by insurance companies are:
- The rear-end collision. This is always the fault of the driver who hit the other vehicle, because (aside from extremely rare mechanical failure) the driver obviously was not in control of the car and failed to stop.
- Chipped or cracked windshield. Spend enough time on the highway and sooner or later you’ll see a little pebble come bouncing toward you from the back of that truck you’ve been following, and the next thing you know you’ve got a crack or a chip in your windshield.
- Parking lot fender bender. You come out of the Publix and there’s a big dent in your fender that wasn’t there before. It happens all the time.
- Backing-up accident. Even though more and more cars come equipped with rear-view cameras, a lot of people never get the hang of driving backward and wind up crashing into something.
- Vandalism. Maybe kids, an ex-spouse, an old boyfriend, every once in a while somebody does something mean, Keying the car, breaking a window, or maybe your car gets broken into for some valuables left where someone could see them.
Major Car Accident Claims
More serious car accident claims include property damage, as in a smashed or demolished vehicle. Repairing or replacing a car can be very expensive. Medical expenses can include everything from emergency surgery to physical therapy – and hospital bills can bankrupt even a wealthy person fairly quickly. A serious car accident can result in missed days at work, lost wages – or even a ruined career.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be able to get compensation for your losses and expenses. For more than 30 years, Central Florida accident victims have turned to the reputable Orlando car accident attorneys at the Martinez Manglardi personal injury law firm. Call 866-730-1367 for a free consultation. Offices throughout Central Florida.