Injured in a car accident? Talk to a top-rated car accident attorney 866-730-1881
If you’ve been injured in a crash involving an Uber or Lyft vehicle, you’ll want the best rideshare accident lawyer you can find. That’s because winning compensation for car accident injuries involving Uber and Lyft drivers requires a rideshare accident lawyer with the skill and experience to navigate the complicated insurance and liability issues unique to the rideshare industry.
The number of rideshare car accidents is on the rise, according to the American Bar Association. And it’s not just occupants and drivers of rideshare cars that are among the victims. University of Chicago researchers report that “In cities that have introduced ridesharing, bike and pedestrian fatalities from accidents involving cars have increased at a similar rate to all driving fatalities. More cars mean more accidents with bike riders and pedestrians and more deaths.“
If you’ve been injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft driver, talk to the Orlando rideshare accident lawyers at the Martinez Manglardi personal injury law firm. Call 866-730-4812 for a FREE CONSULTATION.
Lyft and Uber Accident Claims
Under Florida Statute 627.748, rideshare companies like Lyft and Uber are classified as “Transportation Network Companies (TNCs).” These companies are basically the “Apps” that arrange a ride and process the transaction. They don’t own the vehicles being driven or directly employ the people who drive them, so the law assigns insurance liability for accidents according to the various stages of a rideshare transaction.
If you’re injured in a car accident caused by a Lyft or Uber driver, liability for damages depends in part on whether the driver had a passenger, was on his way to pick up a passenger, or was just driving around waiting for someone to request a ride. In some cases, the driver’s personal car insurance will be financially responsible. In others, the TNC is responsible.
And it may be a very big distinction because the minimum liability for a driver’s personal injury protection (PIP) is $10,000, per person if a driver was not engaged in a TNC activity. TNC coverage is effective “while the TNC driver is logged on to the digital network of the TNC or while the TNC driver is engaged in a prearranged ride,” and the liability coverage is much higher.
The minimum coverage – if a driver is logged in with the TNC but not carrying a passenger – is $50,000. If the Uber or Lyft driver is logged in and has a passenger, the liability coverage is at least $1 million for death, bodily injury, and property damage. The best rideshare accident lawyers have the skill and experience the navigate the nuances of Florida insurance law.
Rideshare Accident Statistics
- According to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 10,142 rideshare-related accidents in the United States in 2019. This represents a 22% increase from the number of accidents in 2018.
- The NHTSA also found that rideshare drivers were more likely to be involved in fatal accidents than drivers of traditional taxis. In 2019, there were 107 fatal accidents involving Uber drivers and 26 fatal accidents involving Lyft drivers.
- The reasons for the increase in rideshare accidents are not fully understood, but some factors that may be contributing include:
- The fact that rideshare drivers are often working long hours, which can lead to fatigue.
- The fact that rideshare drivers are often using their own personal vehicles, which may not be in the best condition.
- Distraction: Rideshare drivers may be distracted by their passengers, their phones, or other factors, which can increase the risk of an accident.
- Inexperience: Many rideshare drivers are new to driving for a living. This can lead to a lack of experience and judgment, increasing the risk of an accident.
Finding the Best Rideshare Accident Lawyer
The Orlando rideshare accident lawyers at Martinez Manglardi have the skill and experience to help those whose lives have been affected by Uber accidents and Lyft accidents. We have rideshare accident lawyers in offices throughout Central Florida, including Orlando, Orange County, Osceola County, Apopka, Kissimmee, Ocala, and Palm Bay/Melbourne. Call 866-730-4812 for a free consultation.