Orlando motorcycle accident attorneys Martinez Manglardi, PA note the rise in motorcycle and scooter accidents and injuries. Indeed, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association’s latest report, Florida leads the nation in fatal motorcycle crashes. Accidents kill more than 500 motorcyclists a year in the state and injure more than 9,000. That means that motorcyclists accounted for 20 percent of all traffic accident fatalities in Florida.
— Ride Smart Florida (@RideSmartFL) February 15, 2019
Orlando Motorcycle Attorneys on How to Avoid Accidents
AAA recommends some basic safety tips for both cyclists and car and truck drivers.
- Respect motorcycle riders. Motorcycles are vehicles too and have the same privileges as an automobile. Be sure to give them ample room.
- Look and Listen. Even if a motorcycle is loud, you may not hear it. Actively look for motorcycles in traffic.
- Leave room. Leave plenty of room between your vehicle and motorcyclists. Uneven terrain, wet roads, and heavy traffic often require a motorcycle rider to react and maneuver differently than automobiles.
- Be aware. Take extra caution when making a left-hand turn, because most automobile-versus-motorcycle crashes occur during left-hand turns.
- Don’t drive distracted. A driver who takes their eyes off the road for two seconds doubles their risk of getting into a crash.
- Wear safety gear. Helmets that meet DOT compliance standards, eye wear, closed-toe footwear and protective clothing reduce your risk of injury or death in a crash. Remember, the only thing between you and the ground is your protective gear.
- Be visible. Keep headlights, marker and taillights on at dusk and dark, or rainy weather. Wear bright clothing or put reflective strips on your bike to be more visible to other motorists. Avoid being in the blind spots of cars and trucks by following three to four seconds behind the vehicle in front of you.
- Use sound judgment. Avoid weaving between lanes while riding. Be sure to use your signals and stick to the speed limit.
- Get proper training. Completing a motorcycle safety course can not only make you a better rider, but save you money on your motorcycle insurance.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys can Help Recover Losses
If you’re injured on a motorcycle, you’ll want the best motorcycle accident attorneys in Orlando. Consider the Orlando motorcycle accident attorneys at Martinez Manglardi, PA. We’ve been helping Centralral Florida cyclists recover fair settlements for more than 30 years. For a free consultation at one of our convenient locations, call 407-846-2240.