The top cause of car and truck accidents in Florida is – not surprisingly – driver error. Drivers in Florida have more than 1,000 car accidents every day, according to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). More than 3,700 people are killed in car accidents every year. That’s more than 10 people dying every day from vehicle accidents in Florida. And there are more than a quarter million injuries every year.
Dangerous drivers cause the overwhelming majority of these deaths and injuries on Florida roadways.
Bankrate reports that according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Authority the leading causes of fatal auto crashes, according to the NHTSA
- Drunk driving: Drunk drivers cause more than 17,000 fatalities every year. That means someone dies from a drunk driving accident every 30 minutes. (New York State Police)
- Lack of seatbelt use: Of those fatally injured in a passenger vehicle, 44% of drivers and 41% of passengers were wearing their seatbelts. (IIHS)
- Speeding: 29% of motor vehicle crash deaths in 2020 involved speeding. More than half of fatal car accidents in 2020 occurred on roads with speed limits lower than 55 miles per hour. (IIHS)
- Distracted driving: 6% of fatal car crashes in 2020 involved distracted driving. Of the drivers involved in distracted driving, 64% were described as “lost in thought (daydreaming).” Another 12% were engaging in cell phone use. (IIHS)
- Drowsy driving: In 2020, 633 fatalities resulted from drowsy driving. Drowsy driving was responsible for almost 2% of total traffic fatalities that year. (NHTSA)
Recovering Losses from Accidents in Florida
Car accidents in Florida can happen to anyone at any time. If you are injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another motorist, an aggressive and experienced personal injury attorney can help you recover losses. You can get a free consultation with a top attorney at the Orlando car accident law firm of Martinez Manglardi.
We have been helping accident victims for nearly 35 years. To schedule a free consultation at one of our convenient Central Florida locations, call 866-506-3286. Offices in Orlando, Kissimmee, Apopka, Palm Bay, Ocala, and Haines City.